Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My purple is Creeping Sage

Last summer, I'd rescued a couple of sage saplings from Home Depot's trash can. I promptly placed it in one of those cemented structures, buried the roots in dirt and said my prayers.

Here's what the text book says: Creeping Sage (Salvia sonomensis) is a trailing groundcover that lives in the more mesic chaparral edges and along the edges of the yellow pine forest. Creeping Sage commonly grows in clay that is very wet in winter, but dry in summer. Occasionally a summer shower will wash the foliage off, but the ground stays dry. If you wish to grow Creeping Sage water it once every 2 weeks for the first year, then one or two waterings extra in spring, along with 2-3 summer dust wash-offs.


Here's what I did: Watered it somewhat religiously throughout last summer, completely ignored it throughout the fall and most of the spring. It caught my attention when it put out this vibrant purple a couple of weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment