Friday, March 20, 2009

Don't spill your beans too soon

Gardening is a character building passion. Just when I expressed disappointment about lack of germination on Patch #1, I noticed some sprinkles of green buried in all that compost and mulch. In the spirit of not speaking ahead of my time, I am not ready to rejoice just yet. I'm giving this a couple of weeks to determine whether we've new weeds or if our seeds are indeed celebrating a new chapter life. My old man will be proud and I hope my daughters will learn.

On a different note, my daughter (Chili) will turn two this May. A heart-warming ritual in my gardening life is walking my little darling around the yard, narrating some stories, pointing to colors, smells, textures and sounds around us. We just walked back from our evening walk and she couldn't quite grasp how these pink flowers on the nectarine tree will turn into delicious fruits this summer.

I pointed to the neighboring nectarine - drenched in fruit set. I promised her delicious smoothies this summer. Coming to think of it, so many of these "natural" processes are miraculous and dramatic. Its a shame that we can be so consumed by our narrow pursuits and the microscopic events that punctuate them. In turn, we fail to notice the predictable, yet dramatic changes in life forms around us. I wonder if being more aware of one's surroundings will help us stay in tune with emotions of people around us - better relationships for an enriched life.

No comments:

Post a Comment