Saturday, March 14, 2009

Leaf curl woes

Our regal peach tree stands some nine long feet tall at 10AM to the backdoor. About a month ago, the tree burst out into this delightful pink blossom; we all cheered. But now, it is infested by the "leaf curl disease" that has spread throughout. It is so severely distressed that I had to pull out every leaf cluster out there leaving the tall barren plant with less than a handful of green specs. The hideous fungus has gone on to infect the shorter peach sibling that is to the left. At this point, I am hoping that it hasn't furthered into the nectarine to its left.

How did I get it this far? I noticed these strange leaf curls probably a week or so ago. Being a believer that in nature's self-correcting mechanisms, decided to take a wait and watch approach. While it is a shame that we've to grapple with such a severe fungal attack, take heart that there is not much that I can do once it is in the leaves. The traditional approach is to spray a copper-intensive fungicide once all the leaves drop.

As a first step, I've hand-removed infected leaves in the shorter peach. I plan on trying an oregano+thyme oil spray - will record how effective that effort is.

No comments:

Post a Comment