Tuesday, March 17, 2009

No more tomatoes please

I promised myself when I was harvesting last year that I would not plant so many tomatoes.

I promised myself when I was pulling them out at the end of the growing season that I would not plant so many tomatoes.

I promised myself when I ordered my 10 plants from Julie that I would not plant so many tomatoes.

What did I do when I had to pick up more plants for Stephanie? I decided to buy some more for myself. Allow me to explain myself:

(i) you recall that instead of Sungold Cherry, we brought home Snow White Cherry. It was an honest mistake and I needed Sungold after all. I even bought Jenny one. Come June, Liam should be able to down sweet cherrries right off the vine.

ii) I've never grown black tomatoes. Julie suggested that try one and so I must. We've the Black Zebra, an indeterminate that, 85 days, should offer us perfectly round 1½" to 2" fruits with tender, deep dark red to caramel colored skin beneath vertical dark green and mahogany streaks. I am to expect flavors of smoke and sweetness with this.

iii) I've never tasted a black cherry. So, we brought home a 65-day indeterminate that would grow into tall, strong vines and produce a rich complex of black flavors.

All said, my commitment to companion gardening is here to stay - more tomatoes, more marigolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment