Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Quail Gardens Tomato Plant Sale

So I was at my desk at work this week when I received an email from my sister. Jenny, our neighbor had invited one of us to join her to a trip to the Quail Gardens Tomato Plant sale. The kicker - my sister's email mentioned, in line with her post on "no more tomato plants", that I was barred from bringing more tomato plants home.

Come Saturday morning, I walked over to Jenny's and she had another surprise for me - a coupon that allowed me 1 free tomato plant. Ah, now there's no way I'm going to return with no tomato plants.

For the exotic variety seeker, the annual tomato-mania event at Quail offers a plethora of choices. From the garden variety early girls and better boys, I found tomatoes with the word chocolate in their names - irresistable. That said, since there was no promise of cocoa blended tomatoes, I figured I would finally step out armed with 2 tomato plants - a pear tomato and a type with a name called "banana legs".

The pear tomato is a cherry, supposedly a profilic producer, but what drew me to it was the promise of vitamin C loaded tomatoes which look like christmas lights. Let's see how that pans out in the yard - will be rather cool to have Xmas in the summer, and mimic the southern hemisphere.

After this week's foul short tournament at work, and the term spaghetti arms that went with it, I was somehow attracted to the banana legs moniker. How does a tomato get associated with a banana? Apparently, this one is pasty and meaty. The shape tends to be longer than not, and a yellow color suddenly scream banana. All the 6" pots had plants with baby flower buds in them, and we promptly put them in the ground yesterday. After this morning's Starbuck's run for used coffee grounds, and the mild drizzles, I'm anxiously waiting for those first banana legs to get going

No comments:

Post a Comment